Sunday, January 2, 2011

A New Year's Resolution????

With the beginning of a new year comes the question 'What's your new year's resolution?'

Each year growing up, it was a tradition to make a resolution.  Each year it seemed to be a tradition to break that resolution within the first month of the new year (usually within the first week).

The last several years I haven't made any or should I say none that I'm willing to say out loud for fear that I will break them within the first week or month and feeling like a failure because of it.  So here we are again, at the beginning of a new year.  Again this year I said I wasn't making a resolution though I surely had the same ones many others have had, including dieting, spending more time with my family, etc.

Today, our church sermon was on rekindling the fire and at the end of it was a great video (I wish I could link it here).  The sermon spoke to my heart but the video itself really hit me.  Let me give the synopsis of it:

There are two young ladies (they are strangers to each other), sitting up on a mountain looking at nature.  The one said to the other that she spends a lot of time up there enjoying nature and learning as much as she could about this mountain/nature.  She then asks the other lady if there was something that she 'addicted' to and she didn't really have an answer.  The first lady gives her some suggestions and she said she was a Christian and the first girl said oh then you must be addicted to Jesus and learn as much as you can about him.  To which the other girl responds not really.  They go back and forth a bit and the second girl realizes that she really should spend more time in God's word and at church learning as much as she could about Jesus.

Oh how that hit home for me.  I call myself a Christian but I have to admit I don't spend nearly as much time as I should learning about God and reading his word.  I'm good with attending church and I make it a priority but I don't make it a priority to spend time in the word.

So I am breaking the trend on not making a new year's resolution by making one right now.  I want to spend more time in God's word learning more about him.

I leave with this reminder from Revelations 3: 15-16:  I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot.  I wish you were either one or the other!  So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment