Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Next Generation

Something dear to my heart is the Next Generation.  And I don't mean Star Trek either.  I mean our children, those who are our future.

If you look around you, you'll see that drugs, sex and violence are all huge influences in our children's life.  Turn the TV on any given night and one of these three will be thrown into your face.  Especially on the major networks.

I admit, there are several shows that I really enjoy watching that I wouldn't allow my children near me while I'm watching them.  Even when they're 10, 11 or 12, they won't be watching them.  Does that make me a bad mom because I don't want to expose my children to blood and gore?  Sex and non-traditional relationships? Drugs, alcohol and tobacco?  Some would say I am but I think I'm being a smart mom.  One who makes choses that are the best for my family.

Last evening I recorded Skins on MTV.  Wow, within 3 minutes of turning it on, I wanted to turn it off because the language was atrocious.  It was like an insult on my ears.  I didn't even know that you were ever allowed to use some of those words on TV, no matter what time of day it was.  It's not a show that I care to ever watch again.

It is a show that is geared towards kids.  Not really kids my boys' ages but older kids.  Teenagers.  I'm not naive, I know that the general American population of teenagers has a high rate of pre-marital sex.  I also know that most of them learned at a very young age about sex and know more sexual innuendos than even I do.  What worries me is that sex isn't special for so many kids.  It's something to do.  Most are aware of the consequences of pre-marital sex but many don't believe those consequences can happen to them.

I'm sure there are some that think, eh, if I get pregnant, maybe I can be on Teen Mom or 16 and Pregnant.  Oh and don't forget those who are told it's your body, your choice.  If you don't want the baby, get rid of it.  Abortion is the easy way out.  While it is your body and ultimately your choice, you need to remember that God, knew us even before we were conceived.  Abortion may seem easy but the emotional consequences can wear on you for a lifetime.  While abortions are also fairly safe, there is always the chance that you may one day no longer be able to have children.  Like any other medical procedures there are side effects of abortion.

Pregnancy is not the only consequence of sexual activity.  There are also STDs to worry about.  With the amount of teens/adults having sex outside of a loving, committed relationship, its a wonder that STDs aren't more prevalent.  Of course, they could be.  I'm sure there are hundreds of thousands of undiagnosed cases out there being spread around because many are too embarrassed to be checked out.

I have to wonder if, we as parents are doing enough to stress the importance of waiting to have sex.  Are we offering our kids options to help them prevent giving into their sexual desires?  Are we talking to them at a young age about what is and is not acceptable?  Do we leave the doors open for communication?  Are we active in them choosing healthy, wholesome shows to watch?

It's sad to think that so many high schools out there are similar to the show Skins.  It scares me to think that my children could be going to school in a high school similar to that one.  Where sex is just something to do and it's a sin to be a virgin.

I also find it very offensive that so many shows out there, especially those on cable TV, are geared towards our teens and show that sex is ok that it's no big deal.  I can tell you from experience that sex IS a big deal and there is nothing better than sex within a committed, loving marriage.

What can you do to help your children to wait?  Wouldn't it be great that instead of teenage sex being the norm, waiting for sex would be?

No comments:

Post a Comment