Thursday, July 14, 2011

Facing your fears

Several weeks ago my husband was mowing in front our house when I heard the mower stop. I didn't really think much of it since the mower had a habit of stalling out anyway, especially in higher grass. Something made me go outside though, so I went out and he says I mowed over a snake. WHAT?????

I'm not a fan of snakes, unless they are those cute boa constrictors that zoos and animal places have that they let you pet. Those I can handle. The slithering kinds in my yard, not so much, even if they're not poisonous.

My front flower bed needed to be weeded bad. I had all kinds of weeds growing in it and it was looking really bad but I was so afraid I'd come across a snake that I kept putting it off.

I faced that fear last night and weeded my flower bed and found my poor rose that had been buried under the bind weed. I must say once I got going on the weeding, it seemed like I had no fear anymore.

Now I have a flower bed mostly freed of weeds (is it possible to get all of them?) and my fear has disappeared. Maybe next time I will actually mow too.

Here are a few photos I took last night.




Yes, that is my flower bed that needed weeded and above is one of the beautiful flowers that is in it.

1 comment:

  1. I love your garden! :) And even though weeding stinks, nothing tops it as a de-stressor.

    My friend is deathly afraid of snakes, and we were walking outside one day, talking about how weird baby beauty pageants were, when I noticed a snake on the sidewalk. I calmly kept talking while trying not to step on it too much as I kicked it into the grass. I totally stepped on it (which is gross to me for some reason) and tripped a little but we kept walking. On the way back, she asked me why I flipped out a little and I told her I didn't want her to be afraid. She told me I was crazy, but she was glad I kept her from seeing it cuz she would've flipped out.

    What is it about snakes that's so unsettling? I'm not phobic of them, but we're not buddies, either!!

    ReplyDelete